Monday, October 17, 2005

My Summer Vacation: "GOD, Swap & Basquiat"



As a working writer/director/poet in NYC I look forward to August for some time off and time to write. This year was different, a fellow playwright at Teachers & Writers Collaborative (Melanie Goodreaux) asked me what play was I working on, when I told her "Apostles of the Apocalypse". She was intrigued and wondered why don't we put are plays together with Steve Canon's play "En Vogue" and do it at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe. And so was born "GOD" (not the actual title but was asthetically appealing, besides it rhymed with the other titles!) "SWAP" by Melanie and "Basquiat" (actual title "En Vogue") by the great Steve Canon who runs the Gathering of the Tribes Gallery on 3rd street. The production was magical in that the talent put together was great, the writing strong and the direction professional. It also put me touch with actors who I've worked with before but haven't in a while namely Eugene Rodrguez, Joann Olivera and Tania Ochoteco. But I also got to work with Rhina Valentin who although I've known for years, I've never worked with. I also met and worked with the talented Jose Sanchez. Between the chemistry of my cast and the chemistry of the casts together we all had a blast! We even got reviews to boot! And so my summer vacation turned out to be really creative, fun and magical. With new friendships developing and promises to work with the same casts again. Hopefully you'll feel the closeness and fun we had thru the photos courtesy of the lovely and talented Tania Ochoteco. I enjoyed all of the performances and look forward to working with all of the actors again at some point in time. We also had several birthdays including Melanie's and my own.
A cast party at "Lava Gina" (Avenue C & 7th st.) with a "beach party" theme including beach chairs, umbrellas and several tons of sand, yes that's right beach "sand"! You had to be there! But it just reinforces the "true magic"
of theater...at The Nuyorican Poets Cafe (which I consider my second home).
Thanks to all involved, those who supported and who were also pleasantly surprised by the show. My next projects a short film (part of a feature) and
putting up Pedro Pietri's classic farce play "El Livingroom" at the NYRican.
Stay tuned...film at 11! Late..."F"

No comments: